Monday, August 6, 2012

Grieving, Part I

Loss is a part of life. Whether death, break-up, divorce, jobs, dreams, and so on, we all experience loss. A very dear friend of mine, who also happens to be a Marriage and Family Psychologist, recommended a book to me: The Grief Recovery Handbook, 20th Anniversary Expanded Edition (thank you, Charles!). I have been reading it for a week now, and I have to say, I highly recommend it to EVERYONE. It seems to focus on "completing" one's grief, which is something I suspect many, if not all of us, need.

The first part lays the foundation by going into all the wrong ways we are taught to deal -- or not deal -- with our grief. It is pretty eye opening!  The second part, which I just started yesterday, begins the nitty gritty "homework" of doing it the right way. With my father's death 25 years ago, five jobs in the last 11 years, a friend dying recently, several dreams, and my mom's death four months ago, I've got my work cut out for me :).

I'll be sharing from my journey as I go, partly for therapeutic reasons, and partly because someone reading this might actually get something out of it. In the meantime, please, if you think you may need this book, pick one up and get started; you'll be glad you did.

Let the digging begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment